Thursday, March 24, 2011

"It is for Freedom for that Christ has set us free?"

Posts are the original thoughts and writings of Rev. Kelly Bates Oglesby


Stand firm, then, and DO NOT let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1 (NIV)

Does my mouth provoke wrath or spew forth profanity? Am I angry more than I rejoice? Am I prone to contention, anger or even violence?

If I closely examine my conversations and interactions with my family, friends and strangers, are they contentious and angry, or are they loving, kind and pure?

A mark of maturity is how I relate to my immediate family. This group of people knew you as a child, rebellious teen, arrogant young adult. They observed your living habits and relationships with others; how you are able to interact with them reflects how spiritually mature you truly are today.
+ Note: the people in this group may not be saved or as spiritually committed as you; however, the emphasis is on how you treat them and respond to them when they are inappropriate with you.
+ Have you ever repented and asked forgiveness for petty arguments, jealousy, and other frustrations from your parents and siblings?
+ When is the last time you initiated prayer with your parents or siblings?

Having forgiven people who offended me, do I expect to have a loving and mature attitude toward them or do I filter the present and future through the past?

Am I griping, murmuring and complaining? Are my prayers more like whining sessions than prayers of praise and thanksgiving for what I do have?

Am I rebelling against God? Against His word? Pride is the root of rebellion. It is enmity toward God and our fellowmen. And so we might ask, Am I proud and arrogant?

Am I so proud that I make up my own interpretations for God's commandments? Am I
rationalizing in order to soothe my conscience?

Are my thoughts and actions chaste? Do I slip into lustful thoughts or actions? Do I covet what other people have - whether that is their spouse, their house, their money, their talents, or what I perceive as their "cushy lives?"

Am I committed to my pastor and congregation? If one is observing me, in what ways can they observe my commitment to my pastor and congregation?

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 1 John 4:7

And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 1 John 5:3


Love is to be celebrated, demonstrated, enjoyed, and shared. Be generous and open with your love. Allow others the opportunity to love you, there is never a need to demand or earn love. There is not a shortage of love and we should not declare an embargo on love either.

By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. John 13:35

No comments:

Post a Comment