Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How does your spirit feel?

Posts are the original thoughts and writings of Rev. Kelly Bates Oglesby

As we near the end of Lenten season, let's assess our spiritual health. Examine our spiritual reflexes/responses to the word and will of God. Just as we get an annual physical this season marks an excellent time to spiritually check up on ourselves.
Now let's start with our heart. How is your heart, is it contrite and broken? Do you have a clean heart?
Consider Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me and Psalm 51: 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
Now let's look around the mouth and examine the tongue. Is your mouth and tongue consecrated to the Lord, do they edify and encourage? Again, let's go to Psalm 51:11 Do not cast me away from Your presence and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners will be converted to You. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation; Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare Your praise.
Tongue presents us with more spiritual considerations, Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
Time for a hearing analysis? God is wondering can we hear Him now? Checking our spiritual ears, Mark 4:23 Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.” 24 Then he added, “Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given —and you will receive even more. 25 To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.”
Our spiritual reflexes, this exam will reveal how willing, ready, and submissive we are to the will of God. Often in the natural we are not allowed to operate heavy equipment, drive vehicles, or be responsible in situations that require the capacity to react or respond quickly while maintaining our balance. The same is true spiritually, if you have not been allowed to minister, lead, or do something spiritually maybe you need to train and condition your spiritual reflexes.
Reflexes, there is a condition that would cause a lack of reflex action, but apparently it is a symptom of a variety of conditions that can impact our reflex response. Isn’t that just like our spiritual life? Are there aspects of your life that are numbing your reflex responses? Lifestyle? Habits? History?

Luke 11:28 He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." Jam 1:22 But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.

We need to condition ourselves to live out the word of God, we serve the true and living God, Jesus is our risen and soon coming Savior and Lord. We must be ready to answer when He calls, directs, or sends us.

Spirit Check!
It is the Holy Spirit that gives us the power, the strength, the boldness, ability, and the confidence to be witnesses for Jesus. We can't do it on our own.
If we want to be a bolder witness for Jesus, we need to be praying for it, obeying the Lord, and submitting to the will of the Lord. Don't be scared of experiencing God. Don't be scared of being a witness for Him either. Are you healthy enough to go from ashes to fire? Are you willing to do what it takes to accept and acknowledge humility and feel the fire?

Lenten season takes us from Ash Wednesday to Pentecost Sunday, we going from being publicly marked with ashes to affirm our humility, meekness, and submission to Christ Jesus. Throughout this season we reflect on our spiritual well being to strengthen and develop our spirits to be boldly afire just as on the Day of Pentecost when the Holy Ghost filled believers.

During this season, I check up to see if I have a need to change my spiritual diet or adjust my spiritual agility and endurance training. I pray this was useful to you.

I am on my way for further analysis. I have found some areas of my spirit that need special attention from the Great Physician, I am going to allow the Holy Ghost to operate in me, on me, and through me so that I may gain greater strength, wisdom, and capacity to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ.

Be blessed and be a blessing!
Rev. Kelly Oglesby

No comments:

Post a Comment